Sunday, June 3, 2007

Our Angel Has Arrived...

Yap! That's me in the hospital garb looking oh-so unglamorous! This was the day after the delivery, when I had not showered and washed my hair since before checking in to the hospital the day before...yewww! But dear Caitlyn wasn't one bit bothered by it. She looked very contented when I was breastfeeding her, so who's to complain? Thanks Caitlyn for being so understanding! You know that Mommy had a tough day ya?

Since we are at the topic of breastfeeding, let me tell all the men and not yet mothers - breastfeeding is suuuper painful - at least for the 1st two weeks! It really is not as simple as chucking your breast into the baby's mouth and feeding her. There's a technique to latch the baby so that the pain will not be so bad. But it really is not easy to master it the 1st few days. I suffered from sore, blistered nipples *ouch* and Caitlyn dear did not help much (sorry girl, mommy can't speak up for you this time) as she has an insatiable appetite. At this point, I am not sure if I should still call her "Angel" or "Milk Monster". But anyhow, Mommy is now known as the "Milk Machine". However, I would like to urge all new mommies to persevere with breastfeeding as the pain will eventually subside, at least by the 3rd-4th week. Breastmilk is simply the best for your lil' angels, not forgetting that it is FREE and saves you the effort of sterilizing the bottles & teats and LOSE weight! I regained my pre-pregnancy weight in 2 weeks! Where else can you find such a good deal?? Caitlyn dearest should be getting her nutritious milk for at least a year, if Milk Machine is able to continue producing.

Anyway, back to my after delivery story. This is my 1st time staying in hospital ever since I checked out of the hospital 29 years ago with my Mommy. I must say I quite enjoyed the stay. Whenever I need anything, I'll just press the buzzer by the bed and a nurse will come walking in to meet my requests. Hee hee. Sure feels like new-age Aladdin and the Magic Lamp. And there were so many relatives and friends popping by to see me...oh, I meant Baby. Who cares about the Milk Machine when there's someone cuter to look at right?? Ah, since I am at the topic on visitors, I will like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who came by to visit and all the thoughtful gifts & well-wishes for Baby and myself! Caitlyn dearie also told me that she was very happy that so many people got to see her fresh out from the oven!

As Caitlyn's jaundice level was very low, she could check out of hospital with me 2 days later, on Easter Sunday! Say "bye-bye" to the wonderful nurses at Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Caitlyn as they took such good care of you and Mommy!

2 comments:

She-Cat said...

Haha..."Milk Machine" ;o). Well, it's better than being called a Cow!

Unknown said...

Cindy
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this very interesting, frank, personal, at times humorous, and well written and illustrated blog on Baby Caitlyn, our first grand daughter. Congratulations! This anecdotal account and invaluable record of Caitlyn's development and growth from birth will make a priceless gift to her when she grows up. Caitlyn is certainly very blessed to have you as a "Milk Machine" as she will definitely grow up to be a healthy, happy and intelligent girl. Best Wishes and love to Baby Caitlyn, Alvin and you always.
Mum and Dad